2010. augusztus 12., csütörtök

Hitting Nathaniel with My Best Shot(s) - Angels in America

Having realised that I actually saw the next item on the Film Experience game, I adore it and I even have the good fortune to have the DVD, I'm participating again.

Somebody has already pointed out that it's going to be very difficult to choose one shot from a 6-part miniseries and indeed, the abundance of opportunities made me stick with my favourite scene, otherwise this post would run endlessly.



1) The visuals are stunning throughout the six chapters and I picked this shot from the scene of the Black Angel's descent (Ch6) because it's so visually refreshing while quite surreal and absurd. Much to my surprise, not in an alienating way though.



2) I remember being completely shocked by this shot, for two reasons. First of all, this is the least Emma-Thompson-like character I have ever seen her play and it was very disturbing to watch. In a good way, of course. My second reason is part of the first one as this Angel is a very complex character, formidable and scary, not anything at all I would have expected an angel to be. Although that's not all she is, as it later turns out; I really love this cleverly written and sophisticated character.



3) I thought it was the expressions of rapidly changing and subtle emotions that would be worth capturing in this scene. Since they are more tangible in motion, I made two montages. I seem to be obsessed with the facial expressions of one particular actress lately, so this exercise was an overindulgence in those. I love how Emma Thompson's face consolidates as turning to Meryl Streep's character, she transfroms from a ferocious creature into the generous, redeeming angel. (That's more like it.) There is relatively little dialogue in this scene but what she can convey through her expressions is remarkable.



I certainly couldn't leave out Meryl Streep, as she is undoubtedly my favourite of the favourites, so I won't miss a chance to post shots from her films (I'm already counting down to The Devil Wears Prada.) I might have needed more pictures to really demonstrate how brilliantly Meryl expresses her complex inner changes with just a glint in her eye or a slight adjustment of her posture, in a nanosecond. The openness that comes forward with the widening of her eyes in the 3rd pic (from L to R) while still being terrified is priceless. Truly inimitable.



5) Finally, I didn't choose what may seem the most obvious shot in this scene, but one after that. Although I was really shocked first when that moment was approaching and fulfilled, the end of it had a more chatartic effect on me at second viewing. (I think it's due to Meryl's recent double acts with Sandra Bullock, Ralph Fiennes and others that resulted in me getting used to that kiss:).) I had never thought about what redemption would be like but it seems quite obviuos that it's a somewhat orgasmic experiece, the culmination of which is shown here, and its aftermath later with the radiating inner peace on Meryl's face is simply brilliant.

This scene was the most unexpected and memorable for me, there is so much going on inside each character's mind and soul that is represented only visually, and it even manages to be funny at some points. Love it.

2 megjegyzés:

  1. beautiful choice. I love the idea of redemption as orgasm. well done. the fireworks make me giggle. but one of the best things about ANGELS is its sense of humor.

    VálaszTörlés
  2. Thank you, Nathaniel:). I feel I really should rewatch this series because it's impossible to process everything about it after just one look. It seems to be even better than I remembered.

    VálaszTörlés