2010. augusztus 1., vasárnap

Hitting Nathaniel with My Best Shot(s)

This time in English, as I managed to make the screen shots from Showgirls for the filmexperience game.

Quite typically of me, I couldn't pick just one shot. They are in chronological order.

1) I hope it doesn't sound shallow - since in the majority of screen time we see clothesless (is that a word?) bodies anyway - but I have to start with a tribute to Gina Gershon's perfect bone structure.


This may seem irrelevant, though slightly less so with this piece. I can never stop being amazed by such devine masterpieces of nature. IMO, the aestethics of the human body account significantly for the effect of a dance performance, so it may be just part of being fascinated by the art of it. It's just unbelieveable how a woman can look so aesthetically perfect, so more superior to anyone with the help of medical professionals:).

2) Another mention of the "superficialities". Having been a group dancer myself, I couldn't not include this shot about the elaborate make-up and hair for the "show-in-the-show"s.


I have never seen so much devotion on the part of the make-up and hair department even in films about stage performances. It's, "of course, a complete extravaganza", as Paul Verhoeven puts it, but still, make-up and hair are pitch-perfect and show the specific type of professionalism of the show-biz world and its unforgiveness with regard to any leniency in precision.

3) It may be cliché, but one of the most honest and credible moments of the film is the scene of Nomi eating a burger on a rooftop, looking down on Vegas.


I love the moment when she manages to free herself from her obsession that has backfired on her and gain the position of an outsider, a perspective on not just Vegas but maybe her own life as well. Character development may be sparse in the film, but this can mean that eventually, she will be able to keep (regain?) some of her integrity.

4) Kyle McLachlan says in the making-of that this story is about everybody manipulating everybody, so the relationship between Nomi and Molly is a revelation for me.


This shot so beautifully embodies this relationship, which is in sharp contrast with the overwhelming arrogance, violence and vulgar sexuality of the film. I love that this aspect of Nomi's life is finally not undermined and ultimately serves as her redemption.

5) Last but not least, just because I believe in girlpower, I must add "Showtime" to my favourite shots. Molly and Nomi's friendhip is only complete with the revenge. Here is the ritual of applying body paint before going to war.


Afterwards, something feels right in the universe again.

+1) Without a pic: the "Virsaas" scene is hilarious :):).

2 megjegyzés:

  1. i think the makeup deserved an OSCAR NOMINATION (as did Gina Gershon.)

    the shots of Nomi & Molly are totally incongruous to the rest of the film, you're right. I almost used one of them skipping with shopping bags outside of Versace.

    VálaszTörlés
  2. I absolutely agree with you about the Oscars, especially Gina Gershon. She was excellent, and I mean in the mainstream way.

    VálaszTörlés